Monday, February 2, 2009

A Spot of Blood.

Since, the announcement several stories have been buzzing around the school and for just a moment I decided to shut off and think about something else. I just wanted to be quiet so I cut gym to hide out and take a seat in our favorite spot. It was around 10 and the sun was beginning to warm my shoulders. I looked down and saw my black Carolina's had a thin coating of dust coverings them. The sun warmed patch of dried dirt and bleached grass was neglected by everyone except the burners, stencils, Christopher and I. Their wasn't enough space for the field hockey girls to run around smacking each others shins or the football boys to rattle their heads together so without the attention of the popular ones the grass went thirsty. For all it's apparent short comings the spot was perfectly hidden but had a great view of the track. Christopher and I called the spot the patch. I liked the patch. During Earth Science Christopher and I would hang out at the patch. He would smoke an American Spirit and I would solve all the worlds problems, or maybe just point them out. It always seemed easier and more entertaining to ridicule the other suckers that had to actually run around the track like groups of cattle while coach Shea would yell up into the air 5:55, 6, 6:05..Today I enjoyed Shea's cadence and began to drift away until a shadow crawled over my boots. I looked up to see Christopher. I jumped up and gave him a hug. Christopher seemed a little dazed and looked like he almost didn't know me. He seemed confused like a person sleepwalking or someone just waking up from a deep sleep. Then I saw the blood. Smears and blotches of blood were on his jacket cuffs and collar. He must have seen my reaction since his daze seemed to be replaced with a growing uneasiness. Christopher was just beginning to see the blood.

1 comment:

wendy lewis said...

"Christopher was just beginning to see the blood." brilliant...